At 05:38 PM 1/16/03, you wrote:
> I accessed the XFree86.org cvs yesterday and checked out the 4.2.99.3
> branch.  It took nearly all day yesterday to 'download'.
You must be on an analog modem :)

> How do I extract the source for 4.2.99.3?  Or is it already extracted and
> I've just got to do the make World &etc?  I've been poking around, but I'm
> getting confusled.  I haven't find any instructions which are simple enough
> for a dummy like me.  What I've found is either out of date (talking about
> old releases) or assumes I know more than I do.  Sigh.
There is no need to extract it.

If you used CVSup then the source will be in whatever directory you
specified as the prefix in the config file.

Head into that directory, then into xc

Then type "make World" and wait.

OK, I got a message that said:
Full build of Release 6.6 of the X Window System complete.

It didn't mention 4.2.99.3 so it's made me a bit leary, go ahead and do the make install?

When done, type make install.

Then give it a try.

-Don