On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Bill Swingle wrote:

> > > This laptop has what purports to be a ATI 3D Rage Mobility-M1 graphics
> > > chip in it. It's supposed to be able to do 1400x1050. I was able to do
> > > this resolution at 16bpp with 3.3.6 but it was slow as mud when moving
> > > windows, etc.

> > > Running "XFree86 -xf86config path/to/XF86Config-4.2.1" creates this
> > > madness on the screen:
> > > http://dub.net/vaio/screen.jpg

> > > As a side note before composing this email I checked out xf-4_2_99_3 and
> > > tried to build it but the build died all three times I tried. The
> > > world.log has crazy binary output at the bottom of it. Anyone that wants
> > > to look at that can find it here: http://dub.net/vaio/world.log.gz

> > > I'm going to attempt to build the newly tagged 4.2.99.4 and I'll repost
> > > if I have any luck with that.

> > That's a good idea.  If that doesn't work, re-run the server with
> > -logverbose 4 and send me the (large) log.

> I'm still trying to build 4.2.99.4 and I'll let you know how that goes.
> In the mean time the new verose log is at :
> http://dub.net/vaio/XFree86.0.log

This log shows that you are being bitten by a bug I have fixed since
4.2.1.  The workaround is to specify Option "LcdSync" in the device
section of your XF86Config.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |