On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Don wrote:

> > > This is not an XFree86 bug.  Ctl-Alt-BackSpace has killed the server as
> > > far back as I can remember.  Certainly before 2.0, and likely before
> > > emacs.

> > > Fix emacs.

> > Are you sure?

> > http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html#seciii

> > http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-12/xfree86_01.html

> If you are trying to point out that emacs is older than XFree you are
> obviously right.

> Marc's comment, however, was the Ctl-Alt-BackSpace was used in XFree
> before it was used in Emacs. Whether or not this is true I do not know.

Well, you can read whatever you want into what I said, but I was actually
referring to GNU Emacs.

Furthermore, XFree86 isn't the only X server C-A-BS kills.  IBM's on AIX
dies too.

> What surprises me is that if the server isn't using Ctl-Alt-BackSpace (via
> DontZap) then is there some reason it should not pass that on to the
> application? (emacs in this case).

Likely because nobody's submitted a patch to do so.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |