> > > This is not an XFree86 bug.  Ctl-Alt-BackSpace has killed the server as
> > > far back as I can remember.  Certainly before 2.0, and likely before
> > > emacs.
> > >
> > > Fix emacs.
> >
> > Are you sure?
> >
> > http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html#seciii
> >
> > http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-12/xfree86_01.html
> If you are trying to point out that emacs is older than XFree you are
> obviously right.
>
> Marc's comment, however, was the Ctl-Alt-BackSpace was used in XFree
> before it was used in Emacs. Whether or not this is true I do not know.
>
> What surprises me is that if the server isn't using Ctl-Alt-BackSpace (via
> DontZap) then is there some reason it should not pass that on to the
> application? (emacs in this case).
>
> -Don

yes, is there?

i just updated to xfree 4.3 as part of a rh9 install and was faced
with this problem.  this function in emacs is very useful!

i'm guessing the introduction of the Terminate_Server event is the
culprit...  perhaps what would be more convenient would be is if
XF86Config could specify the Zap sequence to use.  It would be
great if XF86Config would support that.

i desired it for years! ...  been using DontZap because every
now and then I would be editing a file in emacs and accidentally
*ZAP*!  lose my work.  I would like to keep a Zap sequence around,
just on a different set of keys, something you're really not likely
to hit by mistake, like on the SGI boxes (IIRC it was something
like Shift/Alt/F1/Keypad+ or something wacky like that).

> Marc Aurele La France wrote:
>
> Furthermore, XFree86 isn't the only X server C-A-BS kills.  IBM's
> on AIX dies too.

regardless, it's still a pretty bad choice for a default Zap
sequence.

cheers,