On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Jerome Auza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using redhat linux 7.3 with the X software that
> came with the CD.  I installed Linux with medium
> firewall security, it uses DHCP for its IP address.
> I'm using the machine together with Sun Ultra
> workstations on Solaris 2.7 and up.
>
> I wanted to display applications from the Solaris
> machines on my Linux computer but I always get 'Cannot
> open display myip:0.0'.  No other message is
> displayed.  I have tried setting up xauth and have
> made sure I have xhost + and have done setenv DISPLAY
> myip:0.0.  If I type xhost - on the linux machine and
> try running the solarix x app, I still get the same
> error.  I was expecting "Refused by server" here.

I think that "medium firewall security" blocks X
traffic in that direction.

If you want "medium security" you should not use xhost.
Consider xauth instead.
I find that ssh makes the xauth cookie management transparent
and use it all the time instead of telnet.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna