Hi Andrew,

Your email was very helpful.  I just turned-off the
firewall security (set it to Low) and everything
worked fine now.  I'm in a company network that has a
firewall for outside transactions so I really did not
need the medium firewall security for internal network
needs.

Thank you very much.

jerome

> Hi,
         >
         > I'm using redhat linux 7.3 with the X
software that
         > came with the CD.  I installed Linux with
medium
         > firewall security, it uses DHCP for its IP
address.
         > I'm using the machine together with Sun
Ultra
         > workstations on Solaris 2.7 and up.
         >
         > I wanted to display applications from the
Solaris
         > machines on my Linux computer but I always
get 'Cannot
         > open display myip:0.0'.  No other message
is
         > displayed.  I have tried setting up xauth
and have
         > made sure I have xhost + and have done
setenv DISPLAY
         > myip:0.0.  If I type xhost - on the linux
machine and
         > try running the solarix x app, I still get
the same
         > error.  I was expecting "Refused by server"
here.

         I think that "medium firewall security"
blocks X
         traffic in that direction.

         If you want "medium security" you should not
use xhost.
         Consider xauth instead.
         I find that ssh makes the xauth cookie
management transparent
         and use it all the time instead of telnet.