On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> I have a laptop with an ATI RAGE Mobility M1 AGP 8MB video card
> (Mach64-based) which is running Red Hat Phoebe2 beta distro (8.0.93),
> based on XFree86 4.2.99.901 latest snapshot (Feb, 6th 2003).

> I'm experiencing hardware mouse cursor visual glitches when the mouse
> cursor shape is changed from, let's say, the standard black arrow
> pointer, to another one, for example, the north-south, or west-east
> resize arrow. When the mouse cursor shape is being changed, for a brief
> period of time, I can see a 64x64 rectangle full of garbage instead of
> the mouse cursor. After this brief lapse of time, the cursor returns to
> its normal appearance automatically.

> What's curious about this issue is that I can only reproduce this visual
> glitch when the mouse cursor changes its shape between certain images.
> For example, when transitioning from black arrow cursor to the hand
> cursor (the one shown when the cursor is over an hyperlink), the glitch
> can't be reproduced. If transitioning from the black arrow to any of the
> window-resize cursors, the visual glitch can be seen. This has started
> to happen with XFree86 releases of year 2003.

> As a side note, this is reproducible using XFree's stock ATI video
> driver and also with the SourceForge's GATOS project video driver (which
> provides XVideo support), so I think there must be something with the
> new mouse cursor code that is triggering this.

> Has anyone experienced this? Is this a know issue? I have heards of
> Radeon an SiS video chips having similar problems... Don't know if they
> are related.

Yes.  This a known issue.  I've started looking into this, but have so far
been unable to duplicate the problem.  I'll keep trying.  With any luck,
this'll be fixed in 4.3.

Thanks for the details.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |