On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Keith Packard wrote:

> > The problem was that the switching back-and-forth between the new "cutesy"
> > cursors and the standard ones tickles a hardware bug in Mach64, Rage 128
> > and Radeon variants.

> The Radeon is slightly different in that it has hardware support for ARGB
> cursors, hence switching on that chip is different.

> I suggested that one fix for this is to simply always use the ARGB style
> hardware cursors and map core cursors to that model, rather than
> attempting to switch back and forth.

> Daniel Stone built a patch, and I hacked it a bit.  Taking that along with
> Marc's idea of disabling cursors by turning them transparent should leave
> us with Radeon cursor support that doesn't have any issues with mode
> switching.

> Would such a patch make sense for 4.3?

Well, would such a patch essentially force software cursors for the
majority of hardware that doesn't support ARGB cursors?  Currently, only
the ramdac module knows the difference between hardware and software
cursors, but it seems to me you'd need a hook in Render to convert the
core cursors to ARGB.  That kind of interface could get ugly.

I think it's best to leave something like this until after 4.3.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |