I'd try looking at some of the more recent ATi cards
(Radeon 8xxx or 9xxx) - they can do both VGA and DVI,
and can, to the best of my knowledge, drive a TFT (via
DVI or VGA) at better than 1600x1200. Different
resolutions on different heads are possible, AFAIK,
but different color depths isn't. (AFAIK, this is an
XFree86 limitation). The catch is, to get full support
(including the multihead stuff) you'll need ATi's
driver. On the bright side, the fglrx driver seems
very stable (I've been using it for quite a while,
never an issue, with a Radeon 9700 Pro.)

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech_info/g550_factsheet.cfm
> properly, the bit of the "2D & display features"
> section that says:
>
> ---
> Max resolution (primary RGB monitor or analog flat
> panel) 2048x1536 @ 32bpp
>
> Max resolution (secondary RGB monitor, analog flat
> panel or TV) 1600x1200 @ 32bpp
>
> Max resolution (primary + secondary digital flat
> panel) 1280x1024 @ 32bpp
> ---
>
> means that I'll only be able to run the TFT at
> 1280x1024.  Since the
> TFT I've got my eye on as a native resolution of
> 1600x1200, this would
> be a bit of a waste.

> --
> FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
> FreeBSD Documentation Project
> http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
>
>                  \/  \ ^
>    --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37

Geez