I wish I could help - maybe then I could help myself. I have a system with similar symptoms. I've even explicitely set the hsync and vsync - ie I put in only one value for each, not a range - and it doesn't seem to help. On the other hand, xvidtune claims it's not actually running at exactly the freqs I entered still, so I guess it could still be a sync rate problem.

The same monitor works great when being driven by windows. In my case I'm using different systems for linux and windows, so it could be a video card thing, but the card worked fine before I switched the system to linux.

The effect I have is one where there's almost a shadow image overlaid on the real image - you can't really see it unless you look at an "edge" where the intensity of the picture changes - for example, the transition from a light desktop background to a dark xterm window. About 3 millimeters from the edge, you see a phantom edge where everything is a little lighter. It's sort of like someone took a screenshot in the gimp, duplicated the original layer, then moved the new layer a few pixels to the right overlaid it on the using one of the methods that only affects signal intensity.

FWIW, I've had the same problem several times in the past and have always wanted to discover the fix, but so far no luck...

--
Trever

D. Rick Anderson wrote:

Man I wish it was something as simple as anti-aliasing.

I tried my little 15" Sony on here, and it looks nice and sharp. I just
don't really want to work on that 15" all day.

What's getting my goat is if I boot into windows 2000 it looks great!
It's only in linux that it looks like this, which is what led me to
think that it had to be a refresh problem or something. I know that
Shamrock made really cheap monitors, but I really don't have the money
to fork out for another 19", and besides, if it's working in Microshaft
Windblows then there must be a way to get it to work in X.

I ran ddcprobe and the values I got were:
H: 30 - 95
V: 47 - 130

so that's what I set it to in the configuration, but it didn't change
anything.

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep tinkering.

Rick