You need to start your font server (xfs).

   Question for the list.  Why is this happening?  Why do we get
several posts a day about this?  Is some configuration utility
creating XF86Config files without font paths?  Who is it that's
doing this?  Of the config files I've looked at, these have
all been RedHat systems.  Should this be a bug filed against
RedHat?  If distributions are going to leave font paths out
of the XF86Config, they should be making sure that a font
server is running.  We shouldn't be getting these bugs.

                        Mark.