On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>    Question for the list.  Why is this happening?  Why do we get
> several posts a day about this?  Is some configuration utility
> creating XF86Config files without font paths?  Who is it that's
> doing this?  Of the config files I've looked at, these have
> all been RedHat systems.  Should this be a bug filed against
> RedHat?  If distributions are going to leave font paths out
> of the XF86Config, they should be making sure that a font
> server is running.  We shouldn't be getting these bugs.

FWIW, I've looked into working around this in the server.  I think the
best way to do that is to always append a default font path.  That's
DDX-dependent however, meaning that it won't help Cygwin or Darwin.

The message comes out as a consequence of using a bogus font path for the
first time, which tells me that DIX's font path validation needs to be
moved up from the time the path is first used to the time it is defined to
DIX.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |