On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 17:21, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: "Roach, Mark R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Date: 25 Mar 2003 13:51:08 -0500
> >
> > I have seen similar messages posted here but never a resolution. Can
> > anyone even shove me in the right direction regarding this? When using
> > the radeon driver on my compaq evo n1000v, the lcd panel is horribly
> > distorted, but an external monitor is ok.

[...]
> If the problem is that the screen looks like that after the display has
> been turned off, try this:
> 1. Switch to a character mode display (CTRL-ALT-F2)
> 2. Turn off the display (varies from laptop to laptop, but usually Fn-F?)
> 3. Press a key to turn on the display (Display should now look "normal")
> 4. Return to X display (ALT-F?, varies with OS)
>
> Hope this fixes it for you. The problem is common to all m7 based
> systems, but different BIOS implementations require different
> key-strokes to turn off the display and different operating systems use
> different functions keys to select the X vty. On FreeBSD it is Fn-F9 by
> default.
>
> Note: The display must be tuned off. Just turning off the back-light by
> closing the lid will not work!

That worked, thanks! However, I cannot duplicate it now, for some reason
Fn-F4 (the key combo on my evo) works sometimes and not others. Does
anyone know why that is? It seems I can't boot up and expect to be able
to perform this workaround reliably.

Also, is there any chance that the need for this workaround will be
removed by future versions?

Thanks very much for your help, this had been puzzling me for some time.

-Mark