This works fine on a discrete Riva128 on Linux for me.  And
the Linux and FreeBSD "nv" driver modules should be the same
(you should even be able to exchange modules between the
OSes).   Perhaps this is a FreeBSD problem in the core
server?  I'm not aware of any particular problems related
to the on-board riva128s, though I don't have one myself.

   I don't suppose you know how to use gdb so you can find
where it crashed at?

  Also you could try:

Option "NoDDC"

 in the Section "Device"  to have the core server
not query the monitor info, in case
that's the problem.  If that works let us know.  Regardless,
it would still be great to get a gdb backtrace, in case that's
not too much trouble for you.

                        Mark.