On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Einari Lappo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got Mandrake 9.1 installed, but I'm having some troubles with X. I
> have set my resolution to be 1280x1024, but I only get a virtual 1280x1024
> screen while my actual screen resolution is only 640x480. When answering
> "no" to xf86config's question "do you want to use virtual screen..." the
> actual resolution is 800x600 (and the virtual 1280x1024). But I still can't
> get it up to 1280x1024 or even 1024x768.
>
> Any suggestions...?

   It either decided that it can't do those higher modes or
it just listed the lower modes first.  In the Subsection "Display"
in the XF86Config file, the Mode listed first is the one it
starts up in and the rest can be cycled through with
high mode you have to list it first.  If it's already that
way then it decided that it can't do those modes.  If it does
that, it will tell why in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, but it's
usually because the Monitor specs in the XF86Config are too conservative.

                        Mark.