Mark - thanks so much for your expertise - a couple more ...

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 17:59, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2003, Brian L Scipioni wrote:
>
> >   I have an nvidia TI-4200 card running under RHLinux 8.0.  My monitor is an EPSON
> > TW100 projector.  I am using the new nvidia driver from nvidia.  Both the TI-4200
> > and the TW100 support the HDTV modes (1280x720 - 720p and 1920x1080 - 1080i/p).
> >
> >   I have these modes, as well as several of the standard VESA modes, listed in my
> > "Modes" section.  When I cycle through the modes, my 720p mode (I don't have the
> > 1080 listed) gets skipped.  I am assuming this is because the standard VESA
> > modelines are built into XFree86 but I have to define the correct modelines myself
> > for the HDTV modes.  Is this true?
>
>    Yes.  If the mode isn't in the XFree86 internal mode pool, you have
> to have the modeline listed explicitly in your Section "Monitor".

    Is the internal pool
 compiled in or is there a properties file I can peruse?

> >   Now this is a really elementary question.  Do the modelines refer to graphics
> > card capabilities, monitor capabilities, or both?
> >

>    It describes the timings that the monitor uses for that mode.  It
> needs to be within both the card's and the monitor's capabilities.
>

> >   Does anyone know where I can get the correct modelines for my combination of
> > card and projector?  I can't find them anywhere.
> >
> >   Also, I know some of the information like sync polarities and my pixel clock for
> > my projector..Is there a simple recipe for computing my modelines if I have to do
> > them myself?  I couldn't find in-depth documentation to do this either.
> >

>     The "gtf" untility that shipped with XFree86 4.3 is pretty good at
> generating modelines.
>
>     The specs on the web:
>
> http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_details.cfm?part_id=1731
>
>    give the clock rates.  I assume you are using the DVI input?
> If so...
>
> $ gtf 1280 720 60
>
>   # 1280x720 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 44.76 kHz; pclk: 74.48 MHz
>   Modeline "1280x720_60.00"  74.48  1280 1336 1472 1664  720 721 724 746  -HSync
> +Vsync
>
>  Will give you a 60 Hz 1280x720 mode that's well within your monitor
> specs that the DVI connector should be able to generate.
>
>   I suspect that the 1080i feature only works using the HDTV in
> and not the DVI-I.  It probably doesn't display at that resolution,
> but can sync to it and downscale.  I don't think the NVIDIA drivers
> can output those kinds of TV signals yet anyhow, so hopefully you
> are using DVI.

  What do you mean by HDTV in?  My projector supports the HDTV modes for Component,
RGB and DVI.  My card supports RGB, DVI and S-Video outputs.  I have used the DVI-I in
the past in both analog and digital modes just fine.  However, ever since I did test
of my equipment by installing a version of Win 2000, by DVI is not working with my
card.  It work fine with my HDTV OTA tuner though.  Does anyone happen to know if
there is some card setting that may have been reset?  Could it have to do with Twin
View?  Could it have to do with the HDCP?  Neither the engineers at MSI (my NVIDIA
vendor) nor the engineers at EPSON could give me consistent answers on HDCP
(totalitarian leftist hollywood) support.  It's probably not a XF86 issue though
unless I have Twin View set up wrong.

  I am using RGB now.  Is there a XF86Config feature that controls whether or not my
display mode resizes or whether my screen pans around in the virtual screen?

Thanks again
Brian