On Friday, June 27, 2003 1:16 am, George wrote:
> I used nm and got the same return as yours. Also i add "ddc", this time the
> symbol not warning again but still core dump.

As the log said, the unresolved symbol may not have been the cause of the
crash.

> I have removed Red Hat and
> only left its XF86Config as attached. Red Hat 9 come with XFree86 4.3.0_2.
>
> My current FreeBSD is 5.0 but XFree86 4.3.0 for BSD5.1 packages. I think it
> doesn't matter. (Am I wrong?) In the laptop I have tried FreeBSD 4.8 with
> XFree86 4.3.0 before, each time told me another symbol warning unresolved
> in nsc_drv.o.
> Symbol XAAPatternROP_PM from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nsc_drv.o is unresolved!

Now try adding Load "xaa".  I'm sure this won't fix your SIGSEGV (11), though.

To pinpoint the crash, try running XFree86 in strace.  At least on Linux,
strace writes a detailed list of all kernel calls to stderr.

For even more fine-grained debugging, recompile your X server its requisite
libraries with -g -ggdb -lefence added to the gcc command line, that is, if
you're using gcc and gdb.  -lefence means use ElectricFence for malloc,
realloc, and free (get it from perens.org).  Then either save the core file
(first enable core dumping) or run the X server inside gdb (you may have to
do so over telnet or through a serial connection because XFree86 takes over
the screen).  Give us a stack trace and a line number (use the bt command in
gdb), upload the core file to a web site, and/or try to hunt down the true
cause of the crash yourself.

> I love BSD and decide to use NetBSD when i got message from Alan Barrett
> http://news.gw.com/netbsd.ports.i386/30161 , but after when i tried to
> configure XF86, it told me hard to find suitable screen. I return to FB5
> then.

Ask Alan for his XF86Config file.  Ask what version of XFree86 he is using,
whether he got it from xfree86.org or a BSD site, and whether or not he
patched it.  Also ask if he did anything special during a compile.  His email
address from the news article is [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

Forgive my ignorance, but what is FB5?

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.