Jay R. Ashworth writes:
 > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:58:56PM -0400, gabe f wrote:
 > > So then, why do you subscribe to the list, you could just read the
 > > emails on the website,
 > > thereby saving all of that internet traffic, by only viewing the email
 > > body text  that appealed to you
 > > by its subject, and you wouldn't have to deal with those harmful
 > > vacation auto-replies, either?
 >
 > Cause I asked a question (which has drawn *no* replies, BTW -- mostly,
 > probably, cause I'd already asked the point guy on the topic and he didn't
 > know), and subscribing to follow the answers *is what you do*.  I stayed on
 > a) waiting to see if someone picked up the questions and b) in case someone
 > asked one I could answer -- much the same reason I'm on the Linux Gazette
 > Answer Gang.

Yes, this 'point guy' was me. I tried to help you as good as I could,
however communication was kind of tedious as you emails came back
bouncing with :

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Deferred: Connection timed out with firewall.jachomes.com.
Message could not be delivered for 5 days
Message will be deleted from queue

I don't think you will find anyone else on this list who still has
expertise about C&T chips.
Furthermore I don't think you can complain that I have given you
impolite answers.

I have scheduled to look into the offset problem you are seeing.
However there are more things in XFree86 I need to take care of
so I was not able to do so immediately.

 > > "the internet" has more than one field, by the way. I doubt you're in a
 > > personnel/user related area.
 >
 > Almost all of them in 20 years, except maybe BGP4.  *Lots* of front line user
 > hand-holding and training, in fact -- including teaching people how to work
 > their mail user agents for best effect.  So that poor configuration choices
 > on mailing lists won't bite *them*.  :-)
 >
 > And between your attitude and David's, I must say, I can see why there was a
 > fuss with Keith, and why people suggested that he fork the project.  If y'all
 > can't be bothered to be polite anymore, go find something else to do, 'k?

I don't see where David's answers been impolite - or anybody else.
Linking this issue to the discussion about a fork is neither fair
nor productive.
My main intention starting this thread was to point out that many
of those seeking support may never receive an answer.
I had no intention to provoke a general political flamewar.
We instead need a pragmatic solution for our problem - unless
we want to keep making support for the garbage bin.

Egbert.