Jay R. Ashworth writes:

 > Actually, the address for Mr Bateman on the appropriate page seems to be
 > dead, I was hoping that either my list posting might drag him out, or that
 > Egbert might forward.

David has other obligations that don't allow him to support the C&T
driver at the moment.

 > > It is worth trying 4.3.0 if you haven't already, or even something more
 > > recent by downloading the XFree86 server and relevant module binaries
 > > from Alan's page (www.xfree86.org/~alanh).
 >
 > Ok, I was wondering -- it's apparently a real pain to get 4.3 RPM's for 7.3
 > (which is the largest thing I can comfortably run on my laptop); Mike isn't
 > building for that anymore, and no one else is either... and compiling all of
 > X on a P-233... well, I wouldn't even wish that on me.

I have made a patch now which takes care of some of the problems.
I cannot fix the artefacts that appear in the video overlay once
the video source has a certain size. I assume that this is a
limitation in the HW somewhere.
I can send you a binary for 4.3. however I assume that this will
not work for the version of XFree86 that was shipped with RH 7.3.

 > I guess I'll try to setup a build machine.
 >
 > Course, it'll probably take me a month to figure out how to build X from
 > scratch... :-}

That's easier than you think.
1. You get the tree.
2. You change into the to directory. Assuming the tree is in your
   home:
   cd ~/xc
3. You start the build:
   make World
4. You have some coffee.
5. Build is done.

For more information please check xc/INSTALL-X.org

Egbert.