On Sunday, July 13, 2003 7:05 pm, Geoff Petzold wrote:

> > > Yes, I understand the theory behind doing this, but... i only have one
> > > computer... how do I do this with one computer?  Do I not need a second
> > > one to be able to ping the one im having problems with??
> >
> > One of us could try ping, if we knew your IP address...
> >
> > Try this.  Hit http://ioioio.net/geoff and I'll see you in the log.  Then
> > I'll start pinging you.  I'll record the time when the pings fail and
> > send it to you in email.  You record the time when your computer appears
> > to lock up and when you reboot.  Be sure to sync with ntp first or we
> > won't get anywhere.
>
> excuse my "newbieness" but... sync with ntp?? What is that?

Network Time Protocol.  That's just so that we're working with the same clock.

After writing that email I checked your mail headers.  It seems you're at
24.86.80.207.  Is that right?  Get http://ioioio.net/geoff and we'll see.  Of
course, you might be behind a proxy or similar, in which case my plan will be
foiled.

Then again, if we're not using the same clock, there's no point anyway.  Try
instead starting a stopwatch at the time you download the above URL and then
write down what it says when you halt your system and when you reboot (be
sure to wait at least fifteen seconds between the two).

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.