Running the same system as below, I eventually got X working. However,
after about 20 minutes it up and dies. It just hangs and won't go
anywhere. can't even ctrl+alt+del.

CTL-ALT-Backspace is more likely to be useful under X, actually. This will kill the X server. CTL-ALT-DEL is only captured on normal text consoles AFAIK.

nothing is showing up in logs as far
as i can tell.  It didn't start before X worked though.  Furthermore, now
that X is set up, my terminals are completely unusable.  Every other
letter is shifted about half a screen off.

Are you using the normal text consoles, a VESA console, or some native frame buffer driver? Is X set to use the framebuffer interface?