nothing is showing up in logs as far
as i can tell.  It didn't start before X worked though.  Furthermore, now
that X is set up, my terminals are completely unusable.  Every other
letter is shifted about half a screen off.

Are you using the normal text consoles, a VESA console, or some native frame buffer driver? Is X set to use the framebuffer interface?

How do i tell?

OK, with text consoles vs linux console framebuffer it's usually a boot-time option passed to the kernel. I seem to remember that digging through the output of 'dmesg' will normally tell you. On many Linux distros, the machine boots with a penguin in the top left corner as the kernel inits if it's using a frame buffer (at least with vesafb).