Just wanted to add some 'newbie instructions' on to that :0)

To make it always boot in runlevel 3 (non-graphical mode) instead of your
current runlevel 5, edit the file '/etc/inittab' -You'll find an entry with
'initdefault' on the end.  Change the 5 to a 3 and save.

You don't need to reboot at this stage...use 'telinit 3' to switch runlevels.

You're now in text-mode.  Now run 'startx', you'll get the same result, except
now you'll have lots of info -hopefully describing what went wrong- printed on
the console where you ran 'startx'.

Once you've got to that stage, write back to the list with the new info you've
found and attach your logfile :0)

You might find searching through the list archives for the last few weeks
helpfull-somebody else has recently had a problem with a black screen, seems
to be something to do with the refresh rate they had set for their monitor
making it go to sleep.

-Oli