You should really upgrade your kernel as well. 2.4.2 has a lot of security
issues and plain bugs that have since been resolved (not to mention that
the VM issues weren't straightened out until about 2.4.15). I'm sure there
is even an RPM package that you could download and install a new kernel
with, if you aren't up for compiling from scratch.

But, Red Hat 7.1 might not even be officially supported anymore (IIRC), so
your best bet is probably to install Redhat 9. You'd also get XFree86 4.3
out of the deal.

Jesse