Hi all,

I am a newbie to X11, with modest Unix experience (studying Perl now). I have been a Mac and Apple II user since the mid 1980's. I recently decided to play more with Fink and that led me to desire to update X11 (the one that came with 10.3) to the latest version of XFree86. I've been fiddling for days with installing it with very little success. The closest I've come is now, where it will start but then quit as soon as I choose rootless at the presented dialog. This is the message I get when it starts up (and quits).

2004-10-18 20:41:39.190 XDarwin[896]
XDarwin 1.3.0

XFree86 Version 4.4.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 29 February 2004
If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your hardware is
newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Darwin Apple Computer, Inc.
Could not find keymapping file USA.keymapping.
Reading keymap from the system.
Display mode: Rootless Quartz -- Xplugin implementation
PseudoramiX screen 0 added: 1440x879 @ (0,21).
PseudoramiX screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1440x879 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

waiting for X server to shut down Quitting XDarwin...

I've searched online for hours for a solution, and tried every one I've found with no luck. I've read about an XFree config file, but can't find the one named (I updated the locate db and still couldn't find it). I read about various font and font directory commands with no luck. When I look in the mentioned directory (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/) I see it empty except for "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" both of which only have one character, a "0" (that's a zero). I tried replacing the zero with null but that didn't help. I looked at the other fonts.dir files for ideas, but they list fonts and I have no fonts in the CID directory.

I looked for a FAQ, but the few I found didn't provide any useful answers.

I am very confused and hope someone can get me back on track with a few kind suggestions.

Thanks,
-- Chip

        'Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.'