On Wed, 2 Dec 2004, ASIF IQBAL wrote:

I have attached output of the command "prtconf" in the log file "prtconfLog". Right now I am not working on the scanpci problem because by scanning idx <= 10 it has detected my VGA card in the system. I have exited from the PCI device scan while loop and allowed XFree86 to proceed further which resulted in my "XFree86 -configure" to complete. But I have one issue here I could perform this "XFree86 -configure" only when I connect it to the Sun-Blade-100 machine through a telnet session remotely. When I issue the same command from the sun's console login the system hangs. This behaviour was very much peculiar for me.

Thanks for the prtconf output. This doesn't look good...

The reason I am suggesting scanpci is that it uses the very same PCI scan code as the server but is far easier to debug.

You have obviously modified a copy of a recent snapshot to get it to run. In order to proceed with debugging this problem, please undo your change and use the resulting hw/xfree86/etc/scanpci to determine the last pciDeviceTag attempted by pciGenFindNext() before the hang. To do so, you might want to compile os-support/bus/Pci.c with -DDEBUGPCI. I assume you know how to do that, given you've already modified this code.

        [...]

After performing the 5th step it gave me the following error: Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

These are inconsequential and can be ignored.

What could be the reason for this error. Note I ran the "XFree86 -xf86config /XF86Config.new" from the telnet session only. Am I skipping any configuration steps still?

I suspect the server is _not_ hung. Rather, on this architecture, the server blanks the screen on exit because it has no VGA text mode to restore.

Thanks.

Marc.

P.S.: I do not appreciate receiving some five copies of your response. Please avoid reposting your queries on this list.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |