Hello,

I built RealVNC 4.1.1 and Xfree86 4.2.1 for AIX 5.2.  I used gcc 3.3.2, GNU
make 3.80, the ibm.cf, ibmLib.rules and ibmLib.tmpl config
files from Xorg and parts of the hpux_gcc.patch that came from VNC.  (The ibm
files that came with Xfree86 seem to have some problems
I couldn't fix).  BTW, I used 4.2.1 because that is the latest rev the RealVNC
people use.

The problem I have involves color issues when using a program called CATIA V4.
This is a modeling program where the actual drawing
area
has the correct colors, but the text areas where you select functions and
commands are not right.   If I set the VNC server to be 24
bit and TrueColor, then I can't read the text at all.  The letters are black on
a black background.  If I set the server to 8 bit
PseudoColor, the letters are very dark blue on a black background.  Usable but
terrible on the eyes.  It should be white letters on a
gray background.

I really don't know anything about Xservers etc.  I did a xdpyinfo when
connected to the AIX box using VNC and also sitting at the AIX
machine itself. Below are the outputs for comparison. Can anyone tell me why my
colors are not correct?  And is this something I can
fix or something I have to live with?

Thanks for any help.

tom

vncscreen xdpyinfo
name of display:    :53.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The X.Org Group
vendor release number:    6600
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x1800038, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    20
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DEC-XTRAP
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    LBX
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    VNC-EXTENSION
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XInputExtension
    XTEST
    XTestExtension1
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1600x1200 pixels (406x305 millimeters)
  resolution:    100x100 dots per inch
  depths (2):    1, 24
  root window id:    0x26
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x21
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    1600x1200
  current input event mask:    0x30003c
    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
    LeaveWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
  number of visuals:    2
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

aixscreen xdpyinfo:
name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    International Business Machines
vendor release number:    6100
maximum request size:  262140 bytes
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    3
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 254
focus:  window 0x4000038, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    18
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    GLX
    LBX
    MIT-SHM
    RECORD
    SCREEN-SAVER
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XInputExtension
    XTEST
    XTestExtension1
    aixCursorExtension
    xAncillaryBufferExtension
    xColormapExtension
    xDirectAccessExtension
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (356x284 millimeters)
  resolution:    91x92 dots per inch
  depths (3):    8, 8, 24
  root window id:    0x35
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 3, maximum 13
  default colormap:    0x2a
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    64x64
  current input event mask:    0x30003c
    ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask        EnterWindowMask
    LeaveWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
  number of visuals:    9
  default visual id:  0x24
  visual:
    visual id:    0x21
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    255
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    8 planes
    available colormap entries:    256
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x24
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x25
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x26
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x27
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x28
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
  visual:
    visual id:    0x29