On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I built RealVNC 4.1.1 and Xfree86 4.2.1 for AIX 5.2. I used gcc 3.3.2, GNU make 3.80, the ibm.cf, ibmLib.rules and ibmLib.tmpl config files from Xorg and parts of the hpux_gcc.patch that came from VNC. (The ibm files that came with Xfree86 seem to have some problems I couldn't fix). BTW, I used 4.2.1 because that is the latest rev the RealVNC people use.

The problem I have involves color issues when using a program called CATIA V4. This is a modeling program where the actual drawing area has the correct colors, but the text areas where you select functions and commands are not right. If I set the VNC server to be 24 bit and TrueColor, then I can't read the text at all. The letters are black on a black background. If I set the server to 8 bit PseudoColor, the letters are very dark blue on a black background. Usable but terrible on the eyes. It should be white letters on a gray background.

I really don't know anything about Xservers etc. I did a xdpyinfo when connected to the AIX box using VNC and also sitting at the AIX machine itself. Below are the outputs for comparison. Can anyone tell me why my colors are not correct? And is this something I can fix or something I have to live with?

You don't say what you're running AIX on, but I suspect the RGB masks need to be byte-swapped (which won't work for depths 15 & 16, but that's another issue).

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  352 General Services Building   +-----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                   |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                   |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |