| very concerned about having my Xmail and Xmail-WAI admin passwords in
| plain-text in the config.xml file.

These passwords must be in script usable form, which means plain text.
Every other solution is too much complicated. If you would follow my
directions, access to config.xml by intruder needs so high level of
control over your server, so the Xmail compromision would be the
smallest of your problems.

| Xmail-WAI also displays the user's
| password in plain-text when they are logged in.  This seems
| very in-secure to me.

HTTP communication itself is insecure, so everything above is
irrelevant. I recommend to use SSL (HTTPS) for all mission critical web
apps.

| Also, in Win2K, what directory permissions do you use for the
| xmwconfig and
| xmadmin directorys?  I had Administrator/System full, but I
| had to enable
| Full for Everyone to get MailProc and other functions working in
| Xmail-Wai.  Any tips would be appreciated.

You don't need to enable full access to everyone. Enable read-only
access for your web user to "xmadmin" and "xmwconfig" and full access
for this user to "xmadmin/attachments" and "xmwconfig/mailproc".

- - - - -

Sorry, for me the main problem isn't to develop WAI, but to develop help
and documentation and I'm expecting the WAI users to be as experienced
web app developers and sys admins as I am ;-)

-- Altair