Yes as Leonardo has stated I can use the sendmail command in XMail.
However this will only work on the XMail machine; if I send a message from
another server using the mail utility the problem still exists.

I've tested as completly as I can from several of my servers & the
behaviour is the same no matter what server I mail from.

In the past I was able to send e-mail using a script which utilised the
mail command line mailer.  This was done from a machine other than the
mail server.  The server in question has not been upgraded as was the mail
server machine.

This suggests to me there is some difference between XMail 1.17 and 1.22 in
this regard, as with 1.17 I could use mail to send messages with no
problems.  With 1.22 many are rejected because the receiving SMTP server
sees the address in the "Return-Path" line (see below) which is either
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (if the message is generated on the XMail box) or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (if the message is sent from another server using
the mail command.

Two questions for Davide:

1.
If I send a message from another machine which uses the XMail machine as a
smart host, should the return path not be that of the originating machine,
eg. [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead of [EMAIL PROTECTED] (see
example msg below)?

2.
Has there been a change in XMail since 1.17 that has changed the way the
sender of a message is interpreted?