On 16.03.2006 20:38, Helio Cavichiolo Jr wrote:
> Em Quarta 15 Março 2006 16:05, Davide Libenzi escreveu:
>
>>On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Helio Cavichiolo Jr wrote:
>>
>>>I created a program to authenticate, add, remove and edit mail users into
>>>a mysql table using the userauth xmail feature. I was getting problems
>>>with existing applications because they slow down listing operations when
>>>we have lots of users in xmail. This way, having the users into a mysql
>>>table I don't need to query xmail for listing.
>>>Now I am planning to handle ml users, but I need to know if there's a way
>>>to pass usertype to my program via userauth feature, so I can store this
>>>field into mysql table and don't need to query xmail while listing users
>>>with their respective usertypes.
>>
>>There is no way to pass that to the userauth binary. I am pretty sure
>>though, that the XMail lookup inside its DB, is faster than an external
>>binary execution plus a DB connection and query.
>

> An application that manages xmail users and collect users' list connecting to
> xmail admin port is several times slower than an application that uses sql
> queries. Because of this, I created a binary program to authenticate, add,
> remove and edit xmail users into mysql. So, the "application that manages the
> users" (I mean the user interface not the binary program), make all queries
> to the mysql and connect to xmail admin port only for changes.
> I did this after testing umpl in a xmail server with more than 2000 accounts.
> When you open umpl, it expends minutes before showing users' list.
> With my solution, I can see users' list as soon as I open the application.
> Did you get what I mean?
> And because this, I would appreciate a way to let my binary know if the user
> being created is a normal user (U) or a mailing list user (M) to place this
> information into the sql DB, so the application front-end (users' manager)
> can distinguish among them.

Little bit OT:

We use _ONE_ XMail machine (with 2GB of RAM) with ~5k domains and ~20k
users, virus+spam protection and it performs very well. With the cache
files of XMail, I don't think there is much performance improvement, as
I can't see any in our actual setup.

I guess SQL will be interesting if we make the step to a multi-server setup.

Maybe another MTA with native SQL implementation (postfix e. g.) would
be a better choice for this task, but I'll have to look into it.