On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Ivo Smits wrote:
>
> > It SHOULD check at the nameservers for yahoo.com, if they return the
> > requested record (MX), the resolver has its answer (which is the case!), if
> > it does not return the requested record type, it should retry at the
> > returned NS records.
>
> It does. It tries to go the deeper as possible in the NS hierarchy, then
> issues the query. I'll try to debug, even if the fact that dnsreport
> reports "broken DNS" should be an hint.

That seems really screwed:

- A query for returns.bulk.yahoo.com. NS returns an SOA record pointing to
  @ns1.yahoo.com.

- A query for returns.bulk.yahoo.com. NS at @ns1.yahoo.com. returns
  returns.bulk.yahoo.com. being a CNAME for mailer1.bulk.scd.yahoo.com.

- A query for mailer1.bulk.scd.yahoo.com. NS at @ns1.yahoo.com. returns
  mailer1.bulk.scd.yahoo.com. being a CNAME for t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com.

- A query for t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com. MX return a broken record

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ dig t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com. mx

  ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com. mx
  ;; global options:  printcmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 7

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com.       IN      MX

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  t1.bullet.scd.yahoo.com. 1800   IN      MX      0 .