Todd Flinders wrote:

I haven't specified a joytype. I just don't know the syntax to tell xmame that I have two usb gamepads. Either one works fine by themselves, but I don't know how to tell xmame to use them both so I can play 2 player games with them.

For example, to launch xmame with one gamepad, I type:

xmame -jdev /dev/js2 ./somerom

To launch xmame with two usb gamepads, I want to do something like the following, but I don't know the syntax:

xmame -jdev /dev/js -jdev /dev/js2 ./somerom

Can xmame support two usb gamepads, one for each player? Thanks for the help. I'm searching google, but not having any luck.

The reason you use /dev/js and not /dev/js0 is because xmame will then look for /dev/js* and use any devices it finds as gamepads. Under normal circumstances, if you have js0 and js1 it will detect and use them both.

If you're using xmame.SDL, I think it defaults to the SDL joystick driver (-joytype 5) which has been not perfect for quite some time I think. -joytype 1 is the only option that seems to work for multiple gamepads, for me anyhow... hopefully you've got this compiled in! (JOY_STANDARD = 1)

Also it never helps to do ls /dev/js* to make sure both devices actually exist, although you've probably checked for that by now...

And like I said, if nothing else works and you want dual gamepad support right now, google for QJoyPad which lets you map joysticks to keyboard presses in X.