On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Michael Toomim wrote:

> So, when I said I need help finding API calls, I meant that I have no
> idea about how to program with X at all.  How would I go about finding
> API calls to do the things I need?  I want to be able to get the current
> position of the cursor on the screen, and to set the screen-position of
> the cursor.  Additionally, it would be great if X had some way of
> calling one of my functions whenever the cursor moves, so that I don't
> have poll the onscreen position in an imprecise manner.

    This isn't going to work.  Your client gets the notification
of the event some time after it happened.  If you try to push it
a bit beyond where it is to simulate acceleration you'll usually
end up pushing it backwards.  Most of the time (probably nearly
all of the time) more events would have been generated by the
time the server even got the request from your client and the
cursor would have already moved way beyond that point.  I don't
see how this sort of thing can be made to work.

                                        Mark.