The current acceleration is as follows. There are three values,
num, denom, and threshold. You can set them all with xset, and don't
need XChangePointerControl. I don't get noticeable acceleration
with "xset m default".

Here's the current XFree86 acceleration:

If threshold > 0, the old way is used, which isn't very good.

If threshold == 0, the distance moved is multiplied by:
  (d**(num/denum-1))/2

Install the exponential acceleration with, for example:
xset m 18/10 0

num/denom values of about 1.5 to 2 seem to work good. Don't
go much higher or the pointer is unstable.

I guess this should go into the XF mouse manpage.

Joe Krahn