DPMS may not be implemented for flat panels, but something seems to be.

I use a laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobility graphics adapter, with the
internal flat panel and an external monitor set up to run simultaneously
with Xinerama.  I noticed in the last day or two that when the external
monitor went into power-savin mode, within seconds, the internal flat
panel also went blank and its backlight shut off.

dbr