Not sure what horizontal line you speak of but I can help with the
background image part.  Basically you need something that can display an
image.

xv is one such program however it is shareware.  You can also try Esetroot
which is background image manager for blackbox, openbox and fluxbox (I use
it for waimea also) FVWM also has something that it uses for displaying
images but I cant remember what it is off the top of my head.

so how to do this?  in your /etc/X11/xdm/ directory is a file called
Xsetup_0 (or something like that).  all you need to do is add a line like
this:

Esetroot -s /path/to/image/

Whatever background image manager or image displayer you choose, you will
need to read the man pages for that command to set up properly.  One thing
that I found with the Xsetup_0 file is that is likes the full path for the
command you are using.

I hope this makes sense.

Do a google search for customizing Xdm login screen.  There are a couple
articles out there....kinda out dated but the info is good.

Cat

There is a much better explaination out there on the web.  I