On Wed, 4 May 2016 23:22:24 +0900
Thomas Blasejewicz <ny...@hb.tp1.jp> wrote:

> drive (/dev/sda1) -> I believe that is the location of Mint.
>
> After that get the error message:
> "Your home directory is listed as '/home/thomas', but it does not
> appear to exist ....."
> Now, Mint is not accessible any more.
> And xubuntu is not working.
> Xubuntu is supposed to be under /dev/sda5

If Mint is also on sda, then they are *not* on two different drives.

> But that is also the partition that contains at least all previously
> under Mint installed data, software etc.

So you probably overwrote your Mint home directory when you installed
Xubuntu.

> Is there any elegant way of "uninstalling" xubuntu ... in the hope
> Mint might be resurrected?

Yes, restore from backups. I very much doubt you will be able to
restore your data if it has been overwritten, at least not all of it.
Maybe photorec or something similar will find some of it, though, but
it's probably easier to just restore from backups.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"