Lars Martin wrote:

Hi folks,
I recently received the following message and I'm sure this is quite
interesting for all of you. I send this message on behalf of Gordon
Jones who could not sent this message to the mailing list:

Dear XUpdate and XSmiles people,

We have been experimenting with XUpdate in what we believe is a novel way, and
one which we think would make XUpdate attractive to a much wider audience.

We use it at the client end to modify a Browser's DOM with updates "pushed" from
a data source. In our experiments, the data we update is a real time graph in
SVG format. We have used the  XSmiles and Internet Explorer browsers. (In both
cases using the Csiro SVG rendering engine, JMS to deliver the updates, and
Lexus to apply them).

We work in an industry where publish subscribe of real time information is very
important (price information from exchanges). There are a number of commercial
products in the market place that supply publish subscribe infrastructure. We
are convinced there is a latent demand for this sort of capability in other
industries as well as our own. Our experiments combining Csiro, Lexus, XUpdate,
SVG, XSmiles and a publish subscribe protocol handler using JMS have
demonstrated that this latent demand could be satisfied more openly.

We address this note to both the XUpdate and XSmiles teams first to thank you
for the excellent technology that you have given us, and second to highlight the
potential synergy of the combination.

We have a few issues and questions:

1. We would like to see the idea of using XUpdate in conjunction with a
publish/subscribe browser environment promoted more widely. Do you think this is
feasible, and can you offer any suggestions about how best to achieve this.

2. As far as we can see, XUpdate is not yet part of the W3C family. This may be
because it has been perceived as an esoteric issue for XML databases only. Do
you
think that exposing it as a client side technology would add enough interest to
the extent that it could be submitted to W3C. Certainly we have a concern that
it could become a defunct technology if it stays outside W3C, and this concern
was re-inforced by the recent request for developers sent out on the XUpdate
mailing list.

3. The publish subscribe protocol will need to be standardised. It clearly
differs from http: in that updates arrive after the initial page value. Neither
is it like the current streaming media protocols which handle real time data of
a quite different sort. There has been much talk of "push" technology, and yet
as far as I know, no such protocol has yet emerged. Apart from the commercial
products mentioned above, so called "push" technology has really been based on
hidden "pull". Perhaps the Xsmiles team could comment on the feasability of
introducing such a new protocol (pshttp:?).

There are two frameworks pushing over a persistent HTTP connection
with some sort of MOM (message oriented middleware) in the backend
what i know of.

First there is the pushlet framework from Just:

http://www.fluidiom.com:8080/

and we have another implementation at:

http://www.xmlBlaster.org

It works quite well.
Persistent HTTP is the default since HTTP 1.1

The risk is that the browser, an internet proxy or the web server
may freely decide to shut down the connection.
This must be prevented using some minimum data flow and/or ping-pongs.

The SVG pushing and Lexus based updating is a very
interesting feature!
Where can i get more informations about this?

cu,

Marcel

Your comments and suggestions about how to move forward would be welcome.

Regards Gordon Jones and Finnian Reilly
Contact administrator:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Read archived messages: http://archive.xmldb.org/

-- Marcel Ruff mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.lake.de/home/lake/swand/ http://www.xmlBlaster.org