Desktop apps would presumably be trusted by the user (although obviously still subvert-able ). Just plug in your userid and password.

The auth scheme I am proposing would be for other webapps only.

Joshua

The thing I don't like about these auth schemes, is that it's
web-based. Sounds stupid, but one thing that makes del.icio.us and
other services like that provide an API so great, is that they allow
development and use of non-web-apps (like cocoalicious and others).
Forcing these apps to send the user to a browser and from there back
to the app is even worse than annoying. (Not to say, that the proposed
scheme, through it's use of Redirection makes desktop apps quite hard
to do ... they'd have to accept HTTP request in order to retrieve the
auth key).
Or did I miss something, and this is totally easy?

Cheers
Benjamin

--
joshua schachter