thinking...really bill..must it be discarded full stop?...merle

Merle!!!  BINGO!!!!

Buddha taught that 'all sentient beings have Buddha Nature'.

Humans aren't the only beings that are sentient.

Merriam-Webster Online defines 'sentient' as:

"Sentient : able to feel, see, hear, smell, or taste
1:  responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings>"

What is important to me in this definition is what is does NOT say is a
characteristic of 'sentient'.  It does NOT list any intellectual qualities like
logic or reason - basically what we call 'thinking'.

So...it is now and has been for over 40 years that 'Buddha Nature' refers ONLY
to sensual experience, and is not at all dependent upon the human intellect.

So...back to your question...

"...what about animals and vegetation... have they true essence too?"

My answer is YES!  Of course.  Animals and plants that have the ability to
experience their environment have 'True Essence" which can also be called
"Buddha Nature".

...Bill!