Hi Gaurav,

There are still commits almost every week in libzmq and even more frequently in
other zeromq projects. Even the most mature such as CZMQ and Zyre continue to
evolve. So, yes CVEs are very likely to be actively corrected and, due to the
community architecture, it is also very likely that the correction will come at
the same time as the detection itself.

From the start, the versioning of ZMQ has been blurry because the main usage
(and the automated verifications in the CI chain) encourage all the user to
checkout the master branch and go from there. I could quote the zguide
(https://zguide.zeromq.org/docs/chapter6/#The-ZeroMQ-Process-C):
« It’s quite an interesting effect of the process: the git master is almost
always perfectly stable. »

For the development of Ingescape (https://github.com/zeromq/ingescape), we’ve
been updating all the dependencies to libzmq, czqm and zyre for each major
version by using specific commits rather than versions.

I agree that it may be confusing not having a regularly updated versioning.
This is also an obstacle to using common packaging solutions to keep the ZeroMQ
stack up-to-date. But the community and the contribution process are open to
people who would like to manage this versioning for everyone else.

BR,

Stéphane
˻