Hi All:

FWIW, in my shop procedures to release code into prod are very strict, and
versioning is a key part of that.  A single release consists of a dozen or so
component packages — some of these are open-source project hosted by others
(e.g., https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq <https://github.com/nyfix/libzmq>),
some are open-source projects that we host ourselves (e.g.,
https://github.com/nyfix/OZ <https://github.com/nyfix/OZ>), and some are
internal closed-source projects.

In order to build the open-source components, both our own and others’, we need
to create a “parent” project that provides the required tooling, boilerplate,
etc.  for our internal build process, and then pull in the open-source “core”
(e.g., using git submodules).  For open-source projects that we don’t host
ourselves, the submodule points to a fork that can contain commits that are
essential to us, but for one reason or another have not (yet) been accepted
upstream.

As you can imagine, this is all a major PITA. Anything that makes this process
easier to track and audit is helpful.

I’ll also add that not having defined releases is a major impediment to
incorporating ZeroMQ (or any other project) in a typical corporate environment.

Regards,

Bill