---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Aug 3, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: Fwd: Sign hope for 150 landless dalits
To: acjppearl@

Dear Friends,

AT the SDF our aim has always been to be with people and stand by their side
even in the darkest and painful hours of their crisis. With or without
projects because it is a matter of conviction and not convenience.

For over 14 odd years, we have been involved in a struggle of land rights of
over 150 Dalit families in a hill town called Kashipur in the new Indian
state of Uttaranchal which was once upon a time Uttar-Pradesh. A Dalit
locality was brutally demolished by an Industrial house. To deny that there
ever exist these families, the industrial house did every trick to subvert
the law.

In 2004 the issue was finally cleared by the Supreme Court of India. That
the ceiling imposed upon the industrial house was justified. The court left
the redistribution thing to the state.

It is over two years now. There has been no action. One half hearted action
in January resulted in another petition. The issue became more complicated
as the other party used the minority card because the oppressors here are
powerful Sikhs. You might have seen these Sikhs in Canada and US also.

For us this was a more difficult choice. We did not lose our faith in the
rule of law and filed a petition in the Lokayukta who is basically an
ombudsman of the government. Lokayukta is a high profile position given to a
retired High Court judge with impeccable track record.

Now under pressure from our regular petition, the opposite Industrial house
withdrew its petition in the Supreme Court. The Lokayukta had earlier passed
strong stricture against the Government of Uttaranchal on this issue. Now
things are clear.

I am sending the enclosed letter to the Lokayukta to use his power that he
enjoy to allow these Dalits gain their land rights. I have personally seen
many people.. some of them died in the hope of getting their land right. It
is a matter of satisfcation but also of frustration that despite so much of
efforts the people still have not got their land. It is satisfying for me
personally because in these 14 years, I did not change my loyalty to the
people and remain in their sorrows and happiness. Yes, the satisfcation will
only be real if we are able to get them justice.

 Your support for the casue give us strength to fight more vigoriously.

I sincerely hope that we will be able to get people justice which they
deserve for such a long period.

In solidarity
--
Vidya Bhushan Rawat
Visit my blog at

For Social action, land rights, right to food and hunger issues support
Social Development Foundation at   www.thesdf.org

--
Vidya Bhushan Rawat
Visit my blog at
www.manukhsi.blogspot.com
Contribute your article on freedom, humanism and human rights to
www.manuski.com

For Social action, land rights, right to food and hunger issues support
Social Development Foundation at   www.thesdf.org

*Honorable Justice S.H.A.Raza,*

*LOKAYUKTA,*

*218, Kishan Nagar,*

*Dehradun*

*( Uttaranchal)
June 28, 2006*

* *

*Re: Reference No 27995/L.ka/2006/118/2005 dated May 12th, 2006*

Sir,

We would like to thank you for your detailed letter address to the district
authorities regarding the issue of Ceiling Land in Shaheed Udham Singh
Nagar.

The situation at the ground remain unchanged and the landless Dalits still
looking for some hope. Though, the authorities seems have realized their
mistake yet it does not reflect in any groundwork. They simply have no ideas
to implement a court order and taking shelter under the pretext of 'stay' on
the order by the Supreme Court. There is simply no concern for the Dalit
families who have lost every thing in their struggle for justice through
democratic means.

One needs to ask how the Supreme Court has granted stay on its own order
given by a two judges bench. Definitely, there is something missing in the
Guru Nanak Mission's petition in the Supreme Court. It would be advisable
for the State to make its case well documented in the court. We fear that
the Guru Nanak International Mission has not talked about the earlier order
of the Supreme Court. So the state authorities are advised to study the
petition of Guru Nanak Mission School, its locus-standi on the issue and if
found guilty, charge them for misleading the court.

We are informed that some of the officials are acting on the order. We are
not sure how sincere they are. For the matter a large sum of compensation
was distributed by Chief Minister's discretionary fund to 'so-called'
victims, who the Supreme Court termed as violator and should be shown no
sympathy. They continue to purchase land without registration papers under
the impression nothing could happen to them. Clearly, it was a case of mob
mentality that threatened to change the demography of the region. Most
unfortunately, the Dalits have got nothing so far in this entire exercise.
Uttaranchal reflect the typical nature of 'exclusion' that Dalit face where
even the officials cannot act beyond their narrow caste interests. Many of
them died in their struggle, others left out of their homes in search of
work. State continues to keep silent on the whereabouts of the Dalits.
Nobody knows how many of them were threatened to keep quiet or face death.
It is a well-known fact that a majority of Dalits and tribals lost their
land because of this neo feudal culture, which has threatened the very peace
in the region.

It is the duty of the state to find out where have they gone. What is the
exact number of the Dalits who were party to the original petition filed in
Allahabad High Court and later in the Supreme Court? Does the state want
those also to disappear who have valiantly remained there fighting the case.
Therefore, we would urge the state government be advised to undo this
historical injustice at the earliest irrespective or inspite of court order.

The leasing of the 140-acre of land to private parties also showed
government's concern for the poor people. Despite repeated petition that the
government could promote community farming, the authorities are still not
concerned about it.

We have heard that land is being given to SIDCUL for further work. We need
to ask why the authorities were so prompt giving land to SIDCUL but at the
same point no concerned was shown towards those who have waited for justice
for over 12 years. I am sure one should take the officials to task why this
inordinate delay on their part. And whether they are really keen on
providing social justice to the victim families or playing in the hands of
powerful land mafia.

While it is clear that the officials were acting under pressure from the
senior leaders from Dehradun, it is painful that despite all this activism,
we have not been able to get justice to the Dalits. Subedar Jasram is over
80 now and cannot move ahead. He lost his two sons during this period and
his wife. I have seen her tears about this land, the emotions whether they
would be able to get it or not. We have seen people dying in front of us
without receiving the land.

My only request is whether our officials would sensitive enough to
understand the pains of delay in justice. After years of struggle, some of
us had the patience to fight for the rights of the marginalized and yet even
after getting a favorable judgment from the highest court of the land the
things remain unmoved.

We hope that the state government will make its case stronger in the Supreme
Court and seek punishment against those petitioners who have hidden
information from the court. Secondly, the Dalits need immediate justice.
Does Uttaranchal not have any land to distribute to them?

Again, we are sincerely thankful to honorable Lokayukta Saheb and hope his
intervention would ensure justice to Dalits and other marginalized in the
region.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

Vidya Bhushan Rawat

Director

Honorable Justice S.H.A.Raza,

LOKAYUKTA,

218, Kishan Nagar,

Dehradun

( Uttaranchal)
August 3rd, 2006

Re: Reference No 27995/L.ka/2006/118/2005 dated May 12th, 2006

Respected Sir,

I write this letter again in continuation of my earlier letter to you dated
June 28th, 2006 related to the issue of the ceiling land occupied by M/s
Escorts Farms Limited, Kundeshwari, Kashipur.

Though, we have not received any copy of your latest order, we wish to
apprise you the latest development regarding the same.

In my last letter to you, I had expressed my apprehensions that the writ
petition filed in the Supreme Court by M/s Guru Nanak International seemed
no locus standi. Just two days back, we are informed by our lawyer in the
Supreme Court that the said petition has been withdrawn by them. Which means
that the authorities have to act according to the Supreme Court Judgment
delivered by Justice Shiv Raj Patil and Justice Dharmadhikari, in February
2004.

As there is no legal hurdle now, I would request you to ask the authorities
to act on it and expedite the matter.

We have received further intimation that the authorities are not keen to
talk to the Dalits who were responsible for this case being taken in the
Supreme Court. We have heard that a few of them are being given land
entitlement. Our question remains the same. Why are the authorities not
ready to give land to 150 Dalit families who had filed cases in various
courts of law and who had waited for this day to come.

We are providing you the list of the petitioners in the Supreme Court. We
will request you to ask the authorities to verify these people and provide
them land.

We have been informed by the Dalits in Kundeshwari that they are ready to
form a cooperative. I am talking of this because the authorities are giving
land to companies and outsider without taking into consideration the case of
these families.

Recently, some of the officials visited Subedar Jasram and spoke with him in
a very impolite language suggesting that he has already got his land. Some
of these officials were not even born when the Subedar retired from the
Indian army and the pay and perks during those days were not that lucrative
as they are today. Even if the officials have developed prejudice against
Jasram who is over 80 years of age now and can hardly travel, there are
number of other people who do not have land.

The authorities do not have will to act against land mafia, which is
'expert' in politicizing the issue as assault on minorities. As a person
devoted to the cause of human rights, I can not find a much bitter irony
then this where Dalits are being denied their due land right despite
favorable verdict from the apex court of the land. I had earlier expressed
my doubt about authorities in league with the land mafia and providing them
'useful' clues and advice to subvert the law. When the petition was filed,
we clearly felt that it was a delaying tactics.

 We fear that the state of Uttaranchal is completely ignoring the demand of
majority of people for comprehensive land reforms. It is ironical that that
in a state where majority of people do not even have more than 3 bighas of
land, the land grabbers from outside the state have found it safe heaven to
assault the local Dalits and the tribals and own land much bigger than the
ceiling limit. Today, Shaheed Udham Singh Nagar is losing the agricultural
land to builder mafia and big farm houses have already crept in the area
having huge land holdings with out formal registration while the Dalits and
tribals are struggling for their land rights in a more polite and democratic
way. What does it indicate? That democracy could easily be subverted by
those in power, wealth and position and the marginalized will always be on
the margin if the political leaders, authorities and their chums do not have
fear of the law of the land and a strong judiciary.

Now, we have the opportunity to undo the historic wrong. Since there is no
legal hurdle now, your initiative will ultimately pave the way for an
honorable redistribution of land to Dalits in Kundeshwari.

We are forwarding you a list of original petitioners who appeared in the
lower courts as well as high court and Supreme Court of India. The land
redistribution should begin from those who fought against the injustice and
put their faith in the constitution and rule of law for such a long period.
It is time that we pay our debt to these people by honorably redistributing
the land. I am ready to provide all assistance to you in this regard.

Thank you Sir,

Yours Sincerely,

Vidya Bhushan Rawat

Director

Social Development Foundation**

This is ZESTCaste whose members watch India's painful journey to society's
de-casteisation. Members are encouraged to post messages to
ZESTCaste@yahoogroups.com

If you got this mail as a forward, subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a blank
mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you have a Yahoo! ID, by visiting
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join

Get all ZESTCaste mails sent out in a span of 24 hours in a single mail.
Subscribe to the daily digest version by sending a blank mail to [EMAIL
PROTECTED], OR, if you have a Yahoo! Id, change your settings at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZESTCaste/join

Yahoo! Groups Links