On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 16:43 -0500, James Dickens wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Gregory Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Yes.  You'd group them all under a single filesystem in the hierarchy,
> > > allowing you to manage NFS share options, compression, and more from a
> > > single control point.
> > >

> > I'd agree except for backups.  If the pools are going to grow beyond a
> > reasonable-to-backup and reasonable-to-restore threshold (measured by
> > the backup window), it would be practical to break it into smaller
> > pools.
> >
> > After all, you'll probably have to restore a pool eventually.  If that
> > will take a week, your users won't be very happy with your solution.

> > > Using traditional tools or ZFS send/receive? We are working on RFEs for
> > > recursive snapshots, send, and recv, as well as preserving DSL
> > > properties as part of a 'send', which should make backups of large
> > > filesystem hierarchies much simpler.
> > >

> > Using EBS or NetBackup, can I get a single file back from tape only
> > through the backup system?  That's a big factor for production
> > environments.  Also, when users request a restore from tape from offsite
> > backups, they'll usually specify a date range for when the file was
> > 'good'.  To accomplish that, you need to use the backup solution to find
> > the requisite file.  These 'fishing expeditions' (as I call them) can
> > take a lot of time if direct access isn't available via the backup tool.
>
> ZFS basically eliminates the need to single file restores, because it
> has snapshots, then the user can have almost instant access to old
> copies of files. and is a lot quicker than even the fastest tape
> library. Just make daily snapshots and the need to restore a single
> file from tape is almost completely eliminated, you can still use
> netbackup for disasters, but to get access to a single old file a
> snapshot is much easier.
>
> You can also make it possible to have users initiate there own
> snapshots when they feel the need arises.
>
> James Dickens
> uadmin.blogspot.com

The above would be fine for testing.   However, on an active filesystem
that is more than 50% full, you'll find that large amounts of space will
be used by the snapshots.

We currently use a pair of the Bluearc Titan fileserver appliances.
They have very similar snapshot functionality.  Currently, we can't
maintain more than about 3 days of snapshots every 4 hours due to space
constraints.

For filesystems that don't move much, 1 snapshot per day for a year may
be practical.  I doubt it, as snapshots have to be managed, and
maintaining 365 snapshots per filesystem (not pool) will be very
difficult.

[ stuff deleted ]