Nicolas Williams wrote:
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:41:10AM -0600, Gregory Shaw wrote:
This is getting pretty picky. You're saying that ZFS will detect any errors introduced after ZFS has gotten the data. However, as stated in a previous post, that doesn't guarantee that the data given to ZFS wasn't already corrupted.

There will always be some place where errors can be introduced and go on
undetected.  But some parts of the system are more error prone than
others, and ZFS targets the most error prone of them: rotating rust.

For the rest, make sure you have ECC memory, that you're using secure
NFS (with krb5i or krb5p), and the probability of undetectable data
corruption errors should be much closer to zero than what you'd get with
other systems.

Another alternative is using IPsec with just AH.

For the benefit of those outside of Sun MPK17 both krb5i and IPsec AH were used to diagnose and prove that we have a faulty router in a lab that was causing very strange build errors. TCP/IP alone didn't catch the problems and sometimes they showed up with SCCS simple checksums and sometimes we had compile errors.

--
Darren J Moffat