On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:15:34AM +0200, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> DV> If ZFS is providing better data integrity then the current storage
> DV> arrays, that  sounds like to me an opportunity for the next generation
> DV> of intelligent arrays to become better.
>
RM> Actually they can't.
RM> If you want end-to-end data integrity it has to be checked on a
RM> server.

But Joe makes a good point about RAID-Z and iSCSI.

It'd be nice if RAID HW could assist RAID-Z, and it wouldn't take much
to do that: parity computation on write, checksum verification on read
and, if the checksum verification fails, combinarotial reconstruction on
read.  The ZFS system (iSCSI client) would still have to verify the
checksum on read...

...but leaving parity computation/reconstruction to the iSCSI server
would greatly cut down the amount of I/O needed for RAID-Z to something
similar to that needed for HW RAID-5.

Sure, I don't expect HW-assisted RAID-Z anytime soon, nor iSCSI
extensions for server-assisted RAID-Z.  But at least iSCSI protocol
extensions could be pursued now.

Nico