>yeah, thought of that, but we put some structure in ages ago
>to get around the possible problems with thousands of entries
>in one directory - so we have /export/home/NN/username
>where NN is a 2 digit number.
>
>I don't think there's any way to specify an automount map
>with multiple levels in it.

You can have composite mounts (multiple nested mounts ) but that is
essentially a single automount entry so it can't be overly long, I believe.

I don't think that having a flat /home space is really an issue, though;
it's all memory based so searches will be fast.

If making the map is complicated, you could think about using executable
automount maps.  They allow you a lot of flexibility if the ordinary
map structure fails you.

An executable automount map is triggered when a lookup is done for
an entry in a directory and is created by making the auto_xxx file
executable.

Casper