Brian Hechinger wrote On 07/26/06 06:49,:
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 03:54:22PM -0700, Eric Schrock wrote:

If you give zpool(1M) 'whole disks' (i.e. no 's0' slice number) and let
it label and use the disks, it will automatically turn on the write
cache for you.

What if you can't give ZFS whole disks?  I run snv_38 on the Optiplex
GX620 on my desk at work and I run snv_40 on the Latitude D610 that I
carry with me.  In both cases the machines only have one disk, so I need
to split it up for UFS for the OS and ZFS for my data.  How do I turn on
write cache for partial disks?

-brian

You can't enable write caching for just part of the disk.
We don't enable it for slices because UFS (and other
file systems) doesn't do write cache flushing and so
could get corruption on power failure. I suppose if you know
the disk only contains zfs slices then write caching could be
manually enabled using "format -e" -> cache -> write_cache -> enable

Neil