On 9/13/06, Erik Trimble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OK, this may seem like a stupid question (and we all know that there are
such things...)

I'm considering sharing a disk array (something like a 3510FC) between
two different systems, a SPARC and an Opteron.

Will ZFS transparently work to import/export pools between the two
systems?  That is, can I export a pool created on the SPARC box, then
import that on the Opteron box and have all the data there (and the pool
work normally)?

yes, this is a design feature.

When you first move the pool and import it. The system will read the
blocks of  data and see that its a different endian that the current
host, and convert as necessary, as data is written, its is written in
native format, so data that is written by the pools new host will
suffer no endian penalty reading data it wrote, and a small penalty
accessing data from the old endian type.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com

Normally, I'd run into problems with Fdisk vs EFI vs VTOC
labeling/partitioning, but I was hoping that ZFS would magically make my
life simpler here...

:-)

--
Erik Trimble